Welcome! Lutheran High School aims to provide excellent opportunities for students to develop and display their talents through competition. Our activities are conducted as an integral component of the overall educational experience at LHS with the goal of having all students strive to reach their God-given potential.
In accordance with nurturing personal growth, the central goal of the athletics program is to foster personal Christian characteristics and qualities of respect for self and others, honesty, integrity, commitment, reliability, common sense and perseverance. The values learned through the athletic experience at LHS will equip student-athletes for lives of Christian service. We offer a variety of competitive sports for both men and women. Our coaches are dedicated men and women who strive for excellence both on and off the field and encourage each of our student-athletes to be positive witnesses for Christ!
Our Cougar athletic teams are members of the Missouri State High School Activities Association (MSHSAA) and the Archdiocesan Athletic Association (AAA). This dual affiliation offers our student-athletes a variety of opportunities for competition and post-season play. As an athlete, our programs offer the coaching, the facilities, and the competition to challenge you and thrill you!
Let me know if there is anything that our staff can do to assist you in achieving your goals during your time at LHS.
Sincerely, Melvin Bethany – Director of Activities
Mr. Bethany, who earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Sports Management from Missouri Baptist University, comes to LHS from Parkway West High School where he served in multiple roles since 2008, most recently in the…
Student Counseling Department. In addition to his tenure at Parkway West, Melvin has held numerous leadership and high responsibility roles in multiple athletic-related organizations, including President of the Greater St. Louis Pop Warner Football League, President of the North County Falcons Athletic Association, Camp & Showcase Coordinator for Run It Performance, plus nearly 10 years as a Missouri State High School Activities Association basketball and football referee. Mr. Bethany is known for his outstanding relational skills, his ability to work well with all students, and the importance of his faith in both his personal and professional life.
Jana Leppien is beginning her 7th year at Lutheran High in the Activities Department. She is a member of Immanuel Lutheran – St. Charles. She served in Immanuel’s athletic department and the school office before joining the staff at Lutheran High School…
She was a member of the Lutheran High School Board of Directors and was part of key changes at LHS; 4 x 4 block scheduling and the introduction of 1 to 1 technology.
Jana is a graduate of Milwaukee Lutheran High School (’87) and attended Illinois Wesleyan in Bloomington,IL. Her husband Dave is a Walgreens manager in O’Fallon. They have 3 daughters who have all attended Lutheran High School, Meagan (’12), Hannah (’14), and Emma (’19).
Mark Daniels earned his B.S. Ed. from Missouri State University in Physical Education, Athletic Training, and General Science. He
earned NCAA Division II All-American honors as a football fullback at Missouri State. He finished second in the nation in earned NCAA Division II All-American honors as a football fullback at Missouri State. He finished second in the nation in scoring and 12th in rushing. He earned his M.S. at the University of Oregon in Exercise Physiology. Mark has taught middle school science 9 years, and high school chemistry and biology 4 years. He was an Athletic Training faculty member at Missouri State University for 16 years. Mark has taught anatomy, biomechanics, injury evaluation, first aid, fitness for living, and the capstone course for student athletic trainers. He worked 5 years for Johnson & Johnson, selling orthopedist suture anchors. Mark has made presentations at the National Athletic Trainers’ Association National Symposium in lower extremity biomechanics and foot orthotic therapy. He has coached boy’s and girl’s soccer for 19 years from U5 – U18 including the varsity level. He has cared for high school athletes for more than 29 years. Mark really enjoys biking or elliptical as part of his weekly routine and his recreational time by golfing, walking, hiking, and swing dancing with his wife Linda.
Mr. Daniels is an excellent communicator and extremely knowledgeable in the realm of medicine and he will work with our student athletes to meet all their training needs. In addition, he looks forward to working with our families and provide enhanced care this school year and beyond. Should you have any questions for him, we encourage you to contact him directly:
Fall Sports Gear Orders Due by June 30
If your son or daughter is planning on participating in a Fall Sport (Cheer, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Girls Golf, Boys Soccer, Softball, Boys Swimming, Girls Tennis or Girls Volleyball, ) continue reading for information on ordering gear for the spring season.
If they aren’t participating in a Fall sport, you may order from the “Cougar State of Mind” Spirit Store https://www.bsnteamsports.com/shop/BveTjZHPao
Lutheran High partners with BSN Sports to provide Team Gear and Spirit Wear for our Spring Sports. Team stores are now open. See below for links to your store. All orders due June 30 @ midnight. Late orders will not be accepted!
- All orders must be completed by Wednesday, June 20 at midnight. NO LATE ORDERS ACCEPTED.
- Click on the links below to access your specific store.
- Items required by the coaches are marked.
- If the required items and designs are the same as previous years, you are not asked to purchase them again. Please contact your coach directly with any questions regarding required team gear items
- Shipping: Soccer, Golf, Tennis, and Cross Country orders will be shipped to school. All other stores will be shipped directly to your home. The delivery date is estimated as 3-4 weeks after the closing date
- All items offered are Uniform Approved. See below for specifics.
- Quarter zips and hoodies may be worn during the school day.
- LHS T-shirts may be worn on Fridays only.
- Full zip jackets may only be worn on Fridays or after school
- For all decorated items, returns are accepted for damaged or defective merchandise only.
- For non-decorated items, there is a fee for exchanging sizes after delivery.
Coaches have chosen specific items for their team that are required to purchase. These are marked Required in the upper left corner of the item. All other items are optional. Please contact your coach directly with any questions regarding required items.
Cross Country . Elizabeth Fruend
Cheer . Brooke Schulte
Dance . Alexandra Milakis
Football . Arlen Harris
Girls Golf . Mike Holtmeier
Softball . Brandy Bethany
Girls Volleyball . Rachel Versemann
Girls Tennis . Ellie Smith
Boys Soccer . please direct questions to Jana Leppien
Boys Swimming . Sue Hancock
LHS Summer Activities
Did you know that over 90% of LHS students participate in a sport or an activity every year? We believe that activities play a vital role in the education of all students. While participating in sports, clubs, or one of our activities next year, we believe that your students will develop their bodies, learn physical and mental discipline, operate as a member of a team, acquire self-motivation and self-esteem, and learn to compete with dignity. These attributes will be vital to their success in life beyond school.
Below, you will find contact information for our LHS Activities Coaches and Directors. As we enter the summer months, LHS teams and activities will begin to have open gyms, practices, and camps to prepare for the 2021 – 2022 school year. You are encouraged to contact our staff of particular activities for specific information.
Additionally, our website has a plethora of information regarding our program offerings, paperwork, important reminders, etc. You are encouraged to browse our website and gain a clear understanding of everything that our LHS ActivitiesDepartment offers our students and families.
Athletic website – Click on Athletics on the Lutheran High website to see general athletic news. http://
Summer camp information can be found on the following URL: http://
Summer Sports Calendar – Visit http://goo.gl/N5mUEr to see the LHS Summer Sports google calendar
Coach/Director Staff: Lutheran High welcomes our new Softball Coach Brandy Bethany, Tennis Coach Ellie Smith, and Wrestling Coach Tracey Lawrence. We are still searching for a new Head Boys Basketball coach so please contact AD Melvin Bethany with any questions.
- Cross Country – Elizabeth Fruend – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheer – Brooke Schulte – email@example.com
- Dance – Alexandra Milakis – amilakisLHS@gmail.com
- Football – Head Coach – Arlen Harris – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls Golf – Mike Holtmeier – email@example.com
- Girls Softball – Brandy Bethany- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls Volleyball – Rachel Versemann – Rachel.Versemann@
- Girls Tennis – Ellie Smith – ellie.elizabeth.smith@gmail.
- Boys Soccer – Mike Wilhite –email@example.com
- Boy’s Swimming – Sue Hancock – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys Basketball – Corey Dowden – email@example.com
- Girls Basketball – Erin Luttschwager – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys Wrestling – Tracey Lawrence – email@example.com
- Girls Wrestling – Tracey Lawrence – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girl’ Swimming – Sue Hancock – email@example.com
- Baseball – Andrew Lueck – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls Soccer – Mike Wilhite –email@example.com
- Boys Volleyball – Rachel Versemann – Rachel.Versemann@
- Boys Golf – Mike Holtmeier – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys Tennis – Ellie Smith – ellie.elizabeth.smith@gmail.
- Track & Field – Brandon Tripp – email@example.com
- Pep Band – Brian Scheller – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Theatre – Laura Enstall – email@example.com
- Scholar Bowl – Sarah Winter – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robotics – Dave Zilz – Dave.Zilz@stem2u.org
We feel that our coaches and directors are excellent at promoting what high school activities are all about — an extension of the classroom. Because of this, we are certain that your experience at LHS will be a tremendous time for both you and your son/daughter.
Finally, many of you have joined us on Twitter and on Facebook. If you have not had an opportunity to do so yet, we would like to encourage you to do so. Coaches of each sport and activity leaders use Twitter to disseminate results of contests/games, changes in the practice schedule, game cancellations, hi-lights of games, all-conference and all-district results, etc. We share pictures and information with our LHS fan-base and community on a consistent basis as a means to develop a stronger sense of school spirit and support!
Again, we hope that you have already been “following” us….if not, we’d strongly encourage that you do. If you need assistance, here is an easy “how-to” for signing up for an account:
To follow our updates on twitter, go to www.twitter.com/
to see our tweets. Please note, to have our tweets sent directly to your phone via SMS, you will need to sign up for a twitter account.
We look forward to having you be a part of our programs next year. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us. Have a blessed summer!